Thursday, October 9, 2008

Red Pepper Penne Pesto.. and Macaroni Grill Bread



I had a lot of red peppers this week and decided to try a recipe I got off a blog.. www.picky-palate.com It was pretty darn good. Kurt LOVED it and told me I should make it again soon.


1/2 Cup roasted red bell peppers from can or fresh
3 cloves fresh garlic
1/3 Cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/3 Cup pine nuts
1 1/2 Cups basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb Penne Piccolini
**1/4 Cup heavy cream, if desired for a more creamy sauce

1. Place roasted red peppers and garlic into food processor. Pulse until well combined. Add the parmesan, pine nuts, basil leaves and salt. With processor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Set aside.

2. Cook penne according to package directions. Drain and transfer to a large rimmed skillet or pot. Pour in pesto and stir. Stir in heavy cream if desired. Heat for 5 minutes or until heated through. Best served immediately.

Here are my side notes.. I didn't have any basil and it tasted fine without. I didn't like putting a 1/2 cup oil in it, so I did less then a 1/3 cup. And my friend told me that you could use milk in stead of heavy cream. I didn't use either.. I forgot!


***

Like I said before.. Kurt loved it, and I did too, but what I LOVED was the bread. This is my sister's recipe and it is fantastic! It makes two loaves, and last time I put one of the uncooked loaves in the freezer. I pulled it out tonight a couple hours before dinner and baked it like the recipe said and it was great. Enjoy!

Macaroni Grill Bread
1 package of yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 cups of warm water
1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning (I usually add more it's up to you to see how much you want to add)

Stir together until dissolved

Add 4 cups of flour

Cover and let rise for one hour
Split into two round loaves and let rise for 1 hour
Brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt
Bake at 425 for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 400 for another 10 minutes

Seriously, it's amazing.

1 comments:

bahamamama said...

Hi. A friend of mine gave me your website and I love it. I love to cook but I am not much of baker. The Macaroni Grill Bread...do I just bake it on a cookie sheet or do I need a loaf pan?? It soiunds so good. So does the Penne.
whoopzdayz@hotmail.com